From: Volker Armin Hemmann <volker.armin.hemmann@××××××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [Theoretical] Copy make.conf or Create New Profile
Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2008 17:23:36
1 On Tuesday 23 September 2008, Alan McKinnon wrote:
2 > On Tuesday 23 September 2008 17:32:51 Anthony Metcalf wrote:
3 > > Hi,
4 > >
5 > > This is a theoretical question, and a very simplified example of
6 > > what I'm thinking, but it serves to get the idea across....
7 > >
8 > > Suppose I am planning multiple Gentoo servers, I will want them all
9 > > based on the "Hardened" profile (they are servers after all!) but I will
10 > > also want them all to have the ipv6 use flag set, since my internal
11 > > network is completely ipv6.
12 > >
13 > > Which is better, have a standard make.conf, with USE="ipv6" and copy
14 > > that around, or create my own profile?
15 >
16 > it's 6 and half a dozen really, both methods have the same effect. You have
17 > to weigh up the hassle of creating the profile and the ease of using it
18 > with the ease of modifying make.conf and the hassle of copying it
19 > everywhere. Plus, with just a make.conf, you can't extend your system set.
20 > It's your call really there is not a OneTrueRightWay(tm)
21 >
22 > > I assume that I could copy the hardened profile, change a couple of
23 > > files, and then re-link make.profile.
24 >
25 > You don't copy the profile as such, you inherit from it. Create a new
26 > directory somewhere, and put a file in it called "parent" which points to
27 > the hardened profile that's your base. Put your mods in correctly named
28 > files in that directory and point make.profile to it.
29 >
30 > This is all documented *somewhere* but I once spent 10 minutes looking
31 > through the existing profile directories and it was stunningly obvious how
32 > it all worked.
33 >
34 > > 1) Would changes be lost on rysnc, since my new folder isn't in the
35 > > tree I'm syncing with? Is there a way around that?
36 >
37 > If you put it in the portage directory and don't take special steps, then
38 > your profile will be nuked. But --sync is just an rsync operation, and
39 > rsync's man page is every longer than ls's :-) with options for every
40 > imaginable thing. You should be able to figure out the options to exclude
41 > your custome profile with ease
42 >
43 > > The advantage I see over the copy-the-make.conf situation, is that I
44 > > can change the use flags once, and they are copied for all servers at
45 > > the next sync (all servers would obviously sync to a central box),
46 > > whilst still being able to keep other things (CFLAGS? IF servers have
47 > > different processors etc) different for different servers....
48 >
49 > You could even set up a mini- trimmed-down sync server. Put your master
50 > copies of stuff there, take steps so that portage doesn't nuke things, and
51 > set up a cron to sync once a day. Tell your machines to get their portage
52 > tree from this server, not gentoo.org somewhere and let rip. Also put a
53 > proxy on that sync server of yours so distfile downloads only happen once.
54 > There's many ways to do this - squid is obvious but I believe portage can
55 > do something similar (which I have not used myself)
56
57 you can even put the compiling on one server and let the others download and
58 install the packets. AFAIR BINHOST is the thing to google for.