From: Stroller <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Internet radio?
Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2009 15:32:58
1 On 28 Jan 2009, at 12:45, Peter Humphrey wrote:
2
3 > On Tuesday 27 January 2009 23:41:32 Mark Knecht wrote:
4 >
5 >> I should have stated that he has almost no interest in listening to
6 >> music.
7 >> He wants to listen to news form around the world. BBC, NPR and
8 >> whatever he
9 >> can find.
10 >
11 > I don't know whether the BBC streams in mp3 or just allows you to
12 > download
13 > things in that format. Its main streaming service uses the REAL
14 > protocol
15 > these days.
16
17 Yes, it's Real if you go to http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio1/ and click on
18 the "Listen Live" button.
19
20 I experimented with saving these with mplayer recently, and I believe
21 that you may need to use its --playlist option in order for the URLs
22 to work right. However I was successfully able to cancel the recording
23 and resume using the same URL, which makes me think one could use cron
24 to record shows on schedule.
25
26 The BBC iPlayer now offers radio, too, and I am given to understand
27 that its radio shows are in decent (high?) quality MP3 format. You can
28 download iPlayer shows using the iplayer-dl script <http://www.google.com/search?q=+iplayer-dl
29 > but I think you need to know the ID number of the show first, which
30 you need to get from the iPlayer website. So this may not be so good
31 for casual listening (official iPlayer may be good for that).
32
33 If anyone knows of an overlay which tracks iplayer-dl, BTW, please let
34 me know.
35
36 Stroller.