From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] what to use for a pppoe client?
Date: Tue, 07 Apr 2015 21:55:09
1 On Sunday 05 Apr 2015 16:29:58 lee wrote:
2 > Heiko Baums <lists@××××××××××××.de> writes:
3 > > Am 04.04.2015 um 14:32 schrieb lee:
4 > >> Which package would you recommend? There seem to be at least two I
5 > >> could use:
6 > >>
7 > >>
8 > >> net-dialup/ppp
9 > >> net-dialup/rp-pppoe
10 > >
11 > > I used rp-pppoe. I found it easier to configure. ppp is installed as a
12 > > dependency anyway.
13 >
14 > So there isn't really a choice and rp-pppoe is some kind of additional
15 > thing? What are its advantages?
16
17 I have not installed rp-pppoe, only net-dialup/ppp, but it brought in rp-
18 pppoe.so:
19
20 $ ls -1 /usr/lib64/pppd/2.4.7/
21 minconn.so
22 openl2tp.so
23 passprompt.so
24 passwordfd.so
25 pppol2tp.so
26 rp-pppoe.so
27 winbind.so
30 > >> I'd like to see some connection statistics, i. e. the connection should
31 > >> be active 24/7, and I want to know when it's interrupted and
32 > >> re-established, preferably with good error reporting. It would suffice
33 > >> when I get an email telling me that the connection is down/up.
34
35 You can increase the verbosity of the ppp logs by adding 'debug' in
36 /etc/ppp/peers/my_isp.
39 > > If your ISP doesn't disconnect you the connection usually stays active
40 > > as long as you want resp. the computer is running.
41 >
42 > That's the idea, and in practise, the connection is interrupted rather
43 > frequently. I'm pretty sure the router sucks and contributes to the
44 > problem. If it's not only the router, that's just another thing they
45 > need to fix.
46
47 This may have nothing to do with ppp and everything to do with noise on the
48 line. ADSL is susceptible to REIN, cross-talk and all sort of poor
49 connectivity (high resistance joints) problems.
52 > Currently, I'm taking my money back from them until they fix the
53 > problems, and they don't even notice: Fee internet for me --- though
54 > I'd rather have it working.
55 >
56 > > I don't know anything about the other features (anymore) but with
57 > > rp-pppoe you get at least the same error messages/logs as with ppp.
58 >
59 > Hm, I think I'll start with ppp then.
60
61 I'd suggest the same and if you are not happy with its behaviour and output
62 you can look at what additional features or benefits the rp-pppoe command
63 interface brings.
66 Regards,
67 Mick