From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] what is lvmetad?
Date: Fri, 28 Feb 2014 20:21:13
1 On 28/02/2014 21:47, covici@××××××××××.com wrote:
2 > Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >
4 >> On 28/02/2014 21:12, covici@××××××××××.com wrote:
5 >>> In the newest lvm, there is something called lvmetad, but it won't
6 >>> start because /run/lvm is missing. When I created by hand, it then
7 >>> started, but when I then started lvm which would not start without
8 >>> lvmetad, it said lvmetad was started, but disabled.
9 >>>
10 >>> Can anyone tell me what is going on here?
11 >>>
12 >>> Thanks.
13 >>>
14 >>
15 >> the ebuild issues an elog:
16 >>
17 >> * Make sure the "lvm" init script is in the runlevels:
18 >> * # rc-update add lvm boot
19 >> *
20 >> * Make sure to enable lvmetad in /etc/lvm/lvm.conf if you want
21 >> * to enable lvm autoactivation and metadata caching.
24 >> Did you notice it and follow it?
25 >
26 > I did not ignore, but I could not find where use_lvmetad was and up till
27 > now it never made any difference, but I see where it is. but lvmetad
28 > would not start at all till I manually created /run/lvm.
33 /run is a tmpfs, so something must mkdir it as startup time. I reckon
34 that is device-mapper:
35
36 $ grep /run/lvm *
37 device-mapper: checkpath -q -d -m 0700 -o root:root /run/lvm /run/lock/lvm
38 lvmetad:pidfile="/var/run/lvmetad.pid"
41 Do you have device-mapper configured to run?
42 I must admit I see oddities sometimes on my lvm-enabled hosts where the
43 /var/run -> /run symlinks are missing.
44 I think you should file a bug, either the code is wrong or the
45 docs/elogs are insufficient here
50 Alan McKinnon
51 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com