From: n952162 <n952162@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] is the X11 Security extension required for xauth?
Date: Mon, 23 Dec 2019 09:24:29
1 Review:
2
3 My understanding was that this message was due to the lack of an
4 .Xauthority file:
5
6 Warning: untrusted X11 forwarding setup failed: xauth key data not generated
7
8 Trying to generate one with
9
10 xauth generate $DISPLAY .
11
12 yielded:
13
14 xauth: (argv):1:  couldn't query Security extension on display ":0"
15
16 lead me to the discovery that the security extension was not enabled in
17 the server.  That's when I wrote the original posting.
18
19 Then I realized that I could go from one gentoo machine to the other,
20 just not in the other direction.  The equery command told me both
21 servers were compiled with the same USE flags.
22
23 So, I captured the -vvv output from both ssh sessions and I see this:
24
25 151,152c161,165
26 < debug2: client_x11_get_proto: xauth command: /usr/bin/xauth -f
27 /tmp/ssh-xxxxxxxx/xauthfile generate :0 MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1 untrusted
28 timeout 1260 2>/dev/null
29 < Warning: untrusted X11 forwarding setup failed: xauth key data not
30 generated
31 ---
32 > debug2: x11_get_proto: /usr/bin/xauth  list :0 2>/dev/null
33 > Warning: No xauth data; using fake authentication data for X11
34 forwarding.
35 > debug1: Requesting X11 forwarding with authentication spoofing.
36 > debug2: channel 0: request x11-req confirm 1
37 > debug3: send packet: type 98
38
39 If I interpret that correctly, one simply failed, and the other used
40 fake security.  Someone subsequently mentioned that the -Y flag would
41 generate the .Xauthority file, which I tested and saw that that indeed
42 was true - although, the thusly generated .Xauthority file did *not*
43 allow a subsequent usage with -X.  It's not clear to me at this point
44 why I'm configured on the one machine to allow fake security data, but I
45 intend to rebuild the servers with the security extensions enabled.