From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] SDD strategies...
Date: Wed, 18 Mar 2020 03:14:09
1 james wrote:
2 > On 3/17/20 10:14 AM, Rich Freeman wrote:
3 >> On Tue, Mar 17, 2020 at 1:59 AM <tuxic@××××××.de> wrote:
4 >
5 >> Finally, ALL DRIVES FAIL.  It doesn't matter what the underlying
6 >> storage technology is.  I've seen hard drives fail in less than a
7 >> year, with the warranty replacement drive failing less than a year
8 >> after that.  I think next warranty replacement (still in the original
9 >> warranty period) lasted 5+ years of near-continuous use.  The typical
10 >> failure modes of hard drives and solid state storage are different,
11 >> but they all fail.  You can't perfectly predict WHEN they will fail
12 >> either.  Most drives have SMART and sometimes it can detect failure
13 >> conditions before failure, but not always.
16 > Hello Rich, et al.
17 >
18 > I have deleted most, because I agree with the thread details, you get
19 > what you pay for, but excess payment is rarely rewarded...
22 > HEAT is the enemy of all electronics and mechanical things, computer
23 > drives/memory are no exception. There are a myriad of interfaces/codes
24 > on modern motherboards, and quite a few on legacy motherboards that
25 > track heat. Some are not very accurate, but most, are reasonable.
26 >
27 > Hopefully, you kept your mobo book. A section somewhere talks about
28 > temperature sensors. If the cpu is loaded, the drives are most likely
29 > getting hot. If the fans are running on a relatively high speed, the
30 > system is generating tons of heat. If the GPU(s) are running ho9t, the
31 > drives are hot. tools that scan the hardware for sensors are great,
32 > use them!
35 > I now install 'water coolers' from thermaltake on all my chassis based
36 > system. new or large video cards have tons of processing going on
37 > inside the GPUs; thus a  large source of heat. Systems with lots of
38 > GPU cards, are like ovens. All of this heat, regardless of source,
39 > KILLS all forms of memory, especially 'drives'. Keep everything
40 > monitored, well vented and in a room, cool as possible. Many server
41 > farm rooms run below 50 degrees F, to extend the performance and life
42 > of electronics, particularly HDD and other forms of memory. Many
43 > chipsets, scale down, upon increased heat, auto-magically.
46 > Another (indirect) way to monitor heat, is to monitor the power
47 > consumption of a component. (relatively) large power draw, is entwined
48 > with heat production. Heat kills drives and memory.... no exceptions!
51 > Here are few one-liners I use to monitor
52 > (use/load==heat):
53 >
54 > watch -n12  sensors -f
55 >
56 > dstat -tcndylp --top-cpu  10
57 >
58 > htop
59 >
60 > What would be great, is if folks just list what they use to monitor
61 > the workload (and therefor heat indirectly) or the actual temperatures
62 > of given chipsets and "smart drives"? Perhaps we can then cull the
64 > detailed examples, scripts and tools to better organize heat, current
65 > and other relative performance parameters.
68 > hth,
69 > James
74 I agree that heat is a huge problem.  Run a CPU without a heat sink or
75 with a poor one for a while and see how badly that ends.  :/  That is
76 why I build my own rigs.  I have a Cooler Master HAF-932 case with those
77 large 230MM fans. It has one on the front, one on the side and one on
78 the top.  They don't spin fast but they move a lot of air.  The hard
79 drives are mounted right behind the front fan which gives them good air
80 flow.  When I build, I never use the stock CPU cooler.  I shop around
81 and get a large cooler with a large fan. I ended up with the ZALMAN
82 CNPS10X.  At the time, it was among the top coolers.  I've since
83 replaced the 120MM fan.  Using a IR sensor, which is pretty accurate,
84 everything on my computer runs cool.  Even my video card runs cool
85 compared to some I've seen posted.  My memory comes with coolers as
86 well.  They tend to run cool since that side fan blows air right on them
87 but the heat sinks make them run even cooler.
88
89 The other issue I've read about, start up.  When things start up, like
90 hard drives, they pull additional power, especially things like HDD
91 motors.  Those put stress on the motor itself plus the controllers that
92 drive them.  It also makes the power supply work harder trying to
93 stabilize power which can cause spikes, sags etc. That's not good for
94 the power supply or all the things connected to it.  Although, a good
95 power supply deals with that fairly well nowadays. Of course a poorly
96 designed power supply doesn't.
97
98 Of course, another killer, surges and bad power.  We all know those can
99 be bad, either immediately or as life shorteners when minor.  Lightening
100 strikes even far away can cause issues.  We won't even go into those
101 strikes that are close by and explode light bulbs and such.  You know,
102 those that even a surge protector has trouble stopping.
103
104 I mostly use gkrellm to monitor my temps and such.  The temps I get from
105 IR sensors are pretty close to what I see with gkrellm.
106
107 Since I've never had one, do SSDs get warm or hot?  Or do they run cool
108 bare?  Curious because I got some options to mount one in my computer
109 case.  I could make a bracket and mount it on the bottom right in front
110 of the side fan.  It would be in direct air flow that way.  If it runs
111 warm enough, heat sinks is another option as well.  Just curious.
112
113 Oh, I found this one since so many posted about Samsung.  I have their
114 monitor and cell phone so why not a SSD too.
115
116 Samsung Part number MZ-76E250B/AM Model 860 EVO  250GB and 5 year
117 warranty.  Only $58.00 too.
118
119 I got to get that new HEPA filter paid off first.  Dang allergy
120 Doctors.  As if I didn't have enough health trouble already.  :/
121
122 Dale
123