From: Harry Putnam <reader@×××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: [OT] attach a perl script to daemon services
Date: Tue, 02 Mar 2010 22:27:37
1 Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> writes:
2
3 > On Monday 01 March 2010 06:16:09 Harry Putnam wrote:
4 >> Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> writes:
5
6 >> > FWIW, Solaris syslogd is like other basic tools on Solaris:
7 >> > standards compliant in that it caters for the lowest common
8 >> > denominator that comprises Unix. Which is to say, almost always
9 >> > useless for real work.
10 >>
11 >> A little turn towards OT:
12 >> so what are using your opensolaris machines for?
13 >> The advantages of zfs?
16 > I had Solaris, not OpenSolaris. I've been steadily reducing my
17 > Solaris machines (mostly because of the horrendous cost) and not
18 > many are left. Other teams here still have quite a few, mostly for
19 > proprietary ISP monitoring stuff, Oracle, VoIP billing systems -
20 > that kind of thing.
21
22 No interest in opensolaris then? The `ZFS' file system alone makes it
23 worth looking at... its a working system very similar to what linux
24 community is trying with btrfs
25
26 I guess you know that Oracle bought Sun. Some on the opensolaris
27 lists have been pretty concerned about the fate of opensolaris.
28
29 In the last few days some Oracle heavies have put it on line that
30 Oracle plans to put more devel money into Opensolaris than Sun had
31 been so many in that community are relieved.
32
33 If you're interested, look for:
34
35 Subject: Oracle Says OpenSolaris Will Stay Open Source
36
37 On news.gmane.org under:
38 gmane.os.solaris.opensolaris.general
39
40 The only url have to hand is below but there were several others
41 cited a fair bit more info in thead as well:
42
43 http://www.internetnews.com/dev-news/article.php/3867776/Oracle+Says+OpenSolaris+Will+Stay+Open+Source.htm