From: Steve Wilson <stevewilson@××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] remove suse, install gentoo
Date: Fri, 27 Jan 2006 18:59:39
1 On Wednesday 11 January 2006 08:04, Michael Kintzios wrote:
2 > > -----Original Message-----
3 > > From: Steve Wilson [mailto:stevewilson@××××.com]
4 > > Sent: 11 January 2006 12:42
5 > > To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
6 > > Subject: [gentoo-user] remove suse, install gentoo
9 > > box: Prostar 2.8Gig ProStar Laptop w/60 Gig, 7200 rpm hard
10 > > drive, 1 Gig Ram
11 > > Current configuration:
12 > > XP factory installed on 30gig partition
13 > > Suse v9.0 installed on 20gig partition ext2, 1 Gig SWAP
14 > >
15 > > Goal:
16 > > 1. Remove Suse.
17 > > 2. Format 20 gig with Reisersf
18 > > Leave Grub
19 > > Install Gentoo
20 > > Install VMware.
21 > >
22 > > Question:
23 > > Can I install Gentoo over Suse or should I start over on a
24 > > clean hard drive.
25 > >
26 > > Option I am considering:
27 > > Start with a new hard drive, install Gentoo, VMware and then
28 > > run XP as a
29 > > virtual machine.
30 > > Please advise.
31 > >
32 > > Background:
33 > > I have installed Gentoo from Stage1 on a P3 600 Compaq Deskpro EN and
34 > > Kubuntu on another Compaq Deskpro EN.
35 > > But consider myself a Gentoo novice.
36 > >
37 > > This is my first email to the list.
38 > > Thanks in advance for any help,
39 >
40 > Welcome to the list Steve! :-)
41 >
42 > As you probably know there's more than one ways to skin a cat, so I only
43 > express my preferences here; yours could be entirely different. I
44 > would leave the factory installed WinXP alone. Back up and thereafter
45 > remove all personal files and data from My Documents/Music/etc. Use
46 > Qtparted or Partition Magic, or whatever to shrink it down to 10-12G.
47 > Make sure that you defrag it a few times (before each successive
48 > shrinking).
49 >
50 > Then install Gentoo in the remaining space - preferably in primary
51 > partitions (it may give you an infinitesimally small increase in drive
52 > access/read/write speed). Assuming you are using the default three
53 > partition installation, then have swap first, root second, then an
54 > extended partition and in logical partition(s) you can fit home if you
55 > want it separately and boot last. Bringing Grub up could take an extra
56 > second but running the rest of the system should benefit
57 > proportionately.
58 >
59 > You can also create a vfat partition (personally I would put it on the
60 > second drive) and map all applications in WinXP to use that to save My
61 > Docs/Music/etc.- This would be your shared partitions to be able to
62 > access files from all OS'.
63 >
64 > With 1G RAM I would not have a swap partition any larger than 120M. As
65 > a matter of fact even that could be an overkill, but you never know. A
66 > single swap partition would do nicely for both Linuxes (change your
67 > /fstab accordingly). Size: a lot depends on what you use your system
68 > for, how often you reboot/flush your swap, logs and how many buggy
69 > applications you're running. Just as an indication on a 256M RAM box I
70 > am using a 145M swap partition which I have never seen filling up more
71 > than 75M. Even that only happened when Opera was caching all sort of
72 > chinese type fonts like mad and OOo was compiling at the same time.
73 > Otherwise even large compiles (KDE monolithic) struggle to use more than
74 > 65M. For reasons mentioned above your mileage may vary.
75 >
76 > Of course if you want to go multi-partition insane you could do what
77 > I've done and install Gentoo spread across multiple partitions on two
78 > drives/separate controllers to allow parallel access/processing by the
79 > CPU. A pain to back up but entertaining all the same if you like that
80 > sort of thing! 8-D
81 >
82 > Good luck,
83 > --
84 > Regards,
85 > Mick
86 Thanks for the help.
87 The route I took was;
88 1. purchased another hd of same mfg/mdl
89 2. install gentoo (stage1 install).
90 3. install vmware 5.5
91 4. install win2k as a virtual machine.
92 Had some wonderful help from someone in our Chicago office that guided me
93 along via ssh and later vnd.
94 Things are working fine EXCEPT FOR:
95 1. Printing: from Linux (win2k is ok)
96 2. Mounting USB drive and flash card reader.
97 Will post to list as a separate questions if I do not figure it out.
98 --
99 Steve
100 --
101 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list