From: "J. Roeleveld" <joost@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] alternative kernels
Date: Fri, 31 Oct 2014 07:11:25
1 On Friday, October 31, 2014 12:37:35 AM Canek Peláez Valdés wrote:
2 > On Fri, Oct 31, 2014 at 12:30 AM, J. Roeleveld <joost@××××××××.org> wrote:
3 > > On Thursday, October 30, 2014 06:31:25 AM Rich Freeman wrote:
4 > >> On Thu, Oct 30, 2014 at 3:56 AM, J. Roeleveld <joost@××××××××.org> wrote:
5 > >> > On Sunday, October 26, 2014 02:16:24 PM Canek Peláez Valdés wrote:
6 > >> >> And with systemd, rebooting to a new kernel takes just a few seconds
7 > >> >> ;)
8 > >> >
9 > >> > And here I was thinking that the pro-systemd crowd doesn't care about
10 > >> > the
11 > >> > boot-time of systemd?
12 > >> > (See the " [OT} Linus Torvalds on systemd" thread around 18 - 21
13 > >> > september)
14 > >> >
15 > >> > Please make up your mind on this.
16 > >>
17 > >> This might come as a bit of a shock, but people use Gentoo for
18 > >> different reasons, run different init systems, different udev
19 > >> implementations, and so on. Well, believe it or not, systemd users
20 > >> are exactly the same way and use different components of systemd for
21 > >> different reasons. People also drive different types of cars, for
22 > >> different reasons.
23 > >
24 > > I agree on this. But in the thread I mentioned, Mark David Dumlao was
25 > > quite
26 > > aggressive in his wording when the subject was brought up and he claimed
27 > > systemd proponents don't care. Canek is the biggest proponent for systemd
28 > > on this list.
29 >
30 > You should have answered then to Mark, not to me, given that I did not
31 > said anything in that sub-thread.
32
33 My apologies.
34
35 > But if it makes you happy, I will try to take notes in the next Big
36 > SystemD Evil Conspiracy Meeting so in the future I do not contradict
37 > any statement from anyone in the Pure Evil Directorate.
38
39 I knew it! There really is one! :)
40
41 Thing is, I don't see any benefit, for myself, in systemd.
42 If people want to use it, fine.
43 But, if people are trying to force it upon everyone, then I will have a
44 problem with it.
45
46 Systemd is, in my opinion, suffering from the same feature-creep as Grub2 does.
47 Grub1 was faster, because it was smaller. But it isn't working propery anymore
48 and Grub2 does its job. I just don't see the point in all the multimedia stuff
49 that was put into a bootloader.
50
51 I just had a look at the use-flags for systemd, similarly to myself wondering
52 about multimedia support in grub2, I wonder why there is an HTTP-server
53 embedded in journald. I somehow doubt it has any real security on it and I
54 have seen programs write usernames and passwords to stdout/syslog when running
55 with the default log-levels.
58 Joost