From: Momesso Andrea <momesso.andrea@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Best website backup practice
Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2008 17:04:37
1 I run on an old laptop a website (Joomla + MediaWiki + Moodle + a couple
2 of other things).
3
4 The site now is offline and I'm ok with my automated backups of all the
5 hard drive, but it's going to go online in a few weeks and I'd like to add
6 some more security.
7
8 What I'd like to have is periodic snapshots of the site, so when the
9 hardware will fail (I'm pretty sure it will, just a matter of time) I
10 can easily transfer the latest snapshot on another machine running a web
11 server and a databse.
12
13 My idea is to cp (or rsync) the /var/www/host/ directory and, at the
14 same time to mysqldump the related databases. Then I'd create an archive
15 with this data together and transfer it via nfs on another disk.
16 Cron will do it every twelve hours.
17
18 Any advice or suggestions will be appreciated.
19
21 http://topperh.blogspot.com