From: covici@××××××××××.com
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] problem which makes gnome unusable partially solved
Date: Sat, 07 Nov 2015 13:44:28
1 Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk> wrote:
2
3 > On Sat, 07 Nov 2015 03:23:53 -0500, covici@××××××××××.com wrote:
4 >
5 > > this led me to think that maybe nvidia-settings had something to do with
6 > > it and I discovered I had an old version not sure how that got to stay
7 > > and I tried to install the latest one, which had two effects -- it
8 > > downgraded nvidia-drivers to 3.55.11 and tried to install
9 > > nvidia-settings, but that would not install because there is a file
10 > > conflict with -- guess what -- nvidia drivers! So I unmerged the old
11 > > one and for now it seems to work, but I don't know what will happen in
12 > > the future this way. Very strange!
13 >
14 > Looking at the ebuilds, it appears that nvidia-settings is installed by
15 > the nvdidia-drivers package, controlled by the tools USE flag. Try
16 > setting that flag and unmerging nvidia-settings.
17
18 hmmm, tools seems to be the default and it did not emerge
19 nvidia-settings, but it did want to upgrade the driver, but I think I
20 will leave it for now since it seems to be working without the
21 nvidia-settings package which has a conflict anyway.
25 Your life is like a penny. You're going to lose it. The question is:
26 How do
27 you spend it?
28
29 John Covici