From: Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Harddisk trouble ... or not yet?
Date: Wed, 26 May 2010 14:23:30
1 On 2010-05-26, meino.cramer@×××.de <meino.cramer@×××.de> wrote:
2
3 > [...] I have two WDC WD10EARS-00Y5B1 (pasted from
4 > hdparm -i) harddisk (1TB, advanced format 4096 kb sectors).
5 >[...]
6 >
7 > dd if=/dev/sda of=/dev/sdb bs=8192
8 >
9 > which gave me a LOT of I/O errors after a short time.
10 >
11 >[...]
12 >
13 > From what kernel version the new advanced format
14 > of the hd is fully supported ?
15
16 My understanding is that the new format doesn't cause I/O errors, just
17 slower transfer rates if you format with disk clusters that aren't
18 aligned on 4K boundaries. I'm not aware of any "support" in the
19 kernel.
20
21 > Are there other reasons -- beside defective hardware -- for
22 > the failing dd and how can I fix them ?
23
24 In my experience, I/O errors have always been hardware problems
25 (usually a failing drive, but it could also be a faulty cable or
26 connector).
29 Grant Edwards grant.b.edwards Yow! PIZZA!!
30 at
31 gmail.com