From: Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] {OT} 802.11n PCI-E 300Mbps with AP mode?
Date: Tue, 12 Jul 2011 20:06:58
1 On Mon, Jul 11, 2011 at 9:59 PM, Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > I'll need an 802.11n PCI-E card that does 300Mbps and works in AP mode
3 > for the router.  Does anyone know of such a card?  I've read that
4 > these 300 Mbps cards use Realtek chips and don't work in AP mode
5 > although that info could be outdated:
6
7 Check out the table here:
8 http://linuxwireless.org/en/users/Drivers
9
10 It will let you see which drivers have AP support as well as 802.11n
11 support. There are a couple others with some AP support, but basically
12 an ath9k-supported chipset is your only choice at the moment for a
13 mature AP mode, as far as I know.
14
15 > This one is said to be an Atheros chip so it should have better
16 > support but it only goes to 150Mbps:
17
18 Without the 5 GHz band I doubt you'd ever see above 150Mbps anyway.
19 It's more of a theoretical max for 2.4 GHz but I wouldn't expect to
20 see it actually happen, unless you live in a land without wireless
21 interference. :) My AP and all clients claim to support 300Mbps but
22 I've never seen it with my own eyes.
23
24 I don't notice much of a speed difference at all between the 802.11g
25 turbo modes (108 Mbps+) and 802.11n in my house. Both are noticeably
26 faster than plain old 54Mbit 802.11g, though.