From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] How can this be blocking my emerge -uD world if it's not installed
Date: Fri, 05 Mar 2010 19:20:12
1 On Friday 05 March 2010 21:02:44 Michael Sullivan wrote:
2 > I'm trying to run emerge -uD world:
3 >
4 > [blocks B ] sys-power/powermgmt-base ("sys-power/powermgmt-base" is
5 > blocking sys-power/pm-utils-1.2.5)
6 >
7 > * Error: The above package list contains packages which cannot be
8 > * installed at the same time on the same system.
9 >
10 > ('ebuild', '/', 'sys-power/powermgmt-base-1.22', 'merge') pulled in by
11 >
12 > >=sys-power/powermgmt-base-1.22 required by ('ebuild', '/',
13 >
14 > 'sys-apps/apmd-3.2.2_p5', 'merge')
15 >
16 > ('ebuild', '/', 'sys-power/pm-utils-1.2.5', 'merge') pulled in by
17 > sys-power/pm-utils required by ('ebuild', '/',
18 > 'kde-base/powerdevil-4.3.5', 'merge')
21 > For more information about Blocked Packages, please refer to the
22 > following
23 > section of the Gentoo Linux x86 Handbook (architecture is irrelevant):
24 >
25 > http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-x86.xml?full=1#blocked
28 > * IMPORTANT: 7 news items need reading for repository 'gentoo'.
29 > * Use eselect news to read news items.
30 >
31 > camille kde-base # emerge -C sys-power/powermgmt-base
32 >
33 > --- Couldn't find 'sys-power/powermgmt-base' to unmerge.
34 >
35 > >>> No packages selected for removal by unmerge
36 >
37 > * IMPORTANT: 7 news items need reading for repository 'gentoo'.
38 > * Use eselect news to read news items.
39 >
40 > camille kde-base #
41 >
42 > As you can see powermgmt-base isn't even installed. How can I get it to
43 > stop blocking my emerge if it's not actually there???
44
45 Where did you read that a blocker has to be present to block? You
46 misunderstand what a blocker is. Here's what it really means:
47
48 Two or more packages that are mutually exclusive in some way, and to resolve
49 the emerge you ran both would somehow need to end up being installed, which is
50 not feasible.
51
52 As you can see, they don't have to be there yet. To be blockers, they would
53 only have to be there at the completion of the emerge.
54
55 In your case, apmd wants powermgmt-base, and powerdevil wants pm-utils.
56 pm-utils-1.2.5 has this in RDEPEND:
57 !sys-power/powermgmt-base
58
59 None of the DEPENDS are optional, so you are going to have to do without apmd
60 or powerdevil. As powerdevil is a KDE app, I suspect you want this. laptop-
61 mode-tools DEPENDS on apmd if USE=apm, so I recommend you disable that flag as
62 pm-utils can replace apmd. Then remove apmd and powermgmt-base from world if
63 they are there.
68 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com