From: Joseph <syscon780@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Duplicate identical Hard Disk
Date: Fri, 02 Apr 2010 16:23:48
1 On 04/02/10 07:59, Mark Knecht wrote:
2 >Good questions:
3 >
4 >1) Yes, you can RAID partitions of drives. That's what I'm doing. You
5 >can look at the Gentoo RAID/LVM Install guide to see an example of
6 >using RAID0 and RAID1 on a single drive.
7 >
8 >http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/gentoo-x86+raid+lvm2-quickinstall.xml
9 >
10 >2) I'm certainly not suggesting RAID doesn't work. It's just not
11 >working for me, either due to new motherboard hardware or due to the
12 >drives themselves. I'm currently betting it's the drives. The
13 >background info, without getting too deeply into it, is that if the
14 >drive supports SMART and SMART is enabled, then when doing RAID you
15 >need guaranteed Time Limited Error Recovery (TLER) to ensure (I think)
16 >that SMART works doesn't get in the way of the drive responding in the
17 >appropriate amount of time or else the drive will fall out of the RAID
18 >array. Turns out the WD (according to different mailing list and
19 >forums I've been looking at) has removed TLER on almost all of their
20 >Green drive and some/many/most of the Blue and Black series. They are
21 >supporting this in the RE drives though of which I've obtained two.
22 >They are smaller and more expensive, but built for RAID, so I'm going
23 >to try them out next.
24 >
25 >http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time-Limited_Error_Recovery
26 >
27 >3) As I understand the subject you are correct about size and speed,
28 >but a 3-disk RAID5 array can stand 1 disk failing whereas a 3-disk
29 >RAID1 array can stand 2 disks failing. For this app (MythTV and seldom
30 >used backup server) I don't need speed and size isn't a huge issue so
31 >I chose 3-disk RAID1. (Note that the HTPC case I'm using supports up
32 >to 3 drives only.) Because multiple drives purchased at the same time
33 >generally come from the same production lot there's an additional
34 >danger that if one drive fails then one more (or all) could fail at
35 >the same time so I'm protecting myself against that. Again, this is
36 >very specific to my current needs which is really to back up another
37 >machine which will be RAID0 as it needs more disk I/O speed to support
38 >12 processor cores.
39 >
40 >As always, I'm certainly interested in info and ideas on this subject,
41 >most especially now when I'm buying and building.
42 >
43 >Cheers,
44 >Mark
45
46 I'm not even sure if any RAID is a solution for me.
47 My situation is a follow, I've configured Gentoo box for a medical clinic and I'll administer it reportedly via ssh.
48 One server running Windows XP in VirtualBox and some other Linux programs.
49 Server is a quad core ADM and has two identical SATA drives about 600GB
50 There is another smaller box (Intel ATOM CPU) running Gentoo, this box runs Asterisk and VirtualBox as well, it is a server backup. If something happens to
51 mains Server, user just presses "Scroll Lock" twice (KVM), logs in into smaller and runs the main program from there. So I have a backup in place.
52
53 I just want to utilize the second drive of the main server. I'm mostly concerns about the problems with emerge, not the hard drive failure (I've plenty of
54 backups).
55 So, I think the best option for me is to just mirror the first HD and modify it to use it a sdb. I'm just making steps I need to do:
56
57 1.) Boot from external CD
58 dd if=/dev/sda of=/dev/sdb
59
60 2.)
61 modify (add to) grub.conf on sda
62 #title boot sda current
63 title=1st HD sda Kernel Current
64 root (hd0,0)
65 kernel /boot/kernel-current root=/dev/sda3
66
67 #title boot sdb current
68 title=2nd HD sdb Kernel Current
69 root (hd1,0)
70 kernel /boot/kernel-current root=/dev/sdb3
71
72 3.) Modify fstab
73
74 Walt has mentioned to use "rdev" but reading man pages it is only i386, and all my boxes running amd64 (x86_64).
75
76 What else did I miss.
79 Joseph