From: Allan Gottlieb <gottlieb@×××.edu>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] the nsplugin use flag
Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2007 15:19:44
1 At Mon, 23 Jul 2007 07:57:09 -0400 Mark Shields <laebshade@×××××.com> wrote:
2
3 > On 7/22/07, Allan Gottlieb <gottlieb@×××.edu> wrote:
4 >>
5 >> Thank you. I was fooled by "man portage", but I should have know
6 >> better. That is, I knew full well, but forgot, that /usr/profile is
7 >> temporary and that user changes should be make in /etc/portage.
8 >> Should I file a bug with proposed extra words for the beginning of the
9 >> "portage" man page?
10 >> --
11 >> gentoo-user@g.o mailing list
14 > the manpage for portage has both references to /etc/make.profile/ and
15 > /etc/portage/ (it's in the synopsis):
16
17 Sure, but it doesn't remind you that changing /etc/portage is the way
18 to go. Indeed if you read the description for
19
20 > /etc/make.profile/
21 > package.use.mask
22
23 (given later in the man page) it sounds like a fine way to prevent a
24 use flag from applying to a package.
25
26 It is correct that
27
28 > /etc/portage/
29 > package.use
30
31 is also described and also seems like a fine way to prevent (or
32 enable) a use flag from applying to a package.
33
34 I was asking if some words should be at the very top of the man page
35 stating that /etc/make.profile is the place for user changes.
36
37 allan
38 --
39 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list