From: Willie Wong <wwong@××××××××××××××.EDU>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Dual booting Dell with Windows 7
Date: Wed, 17 Feb 2010 10:31:52
1 On Wed, Feb 17, 2010 at 06:58:16AM +0000, Mick wrote:
2 > On Wednesday 17 February 2010 01:12:08 Peter Humphrey wrote:
3 > > On Monday 15 February 2010 23:45:23 Mick wrote:
4 > > > If I were to [tell] GRUB to chainload W7 [which} should I point it
5 > > > to? Dell's partition 2 which has the boot flag, or the main W7 OS
6 > > > partition 3?
7 > >
8 > > The one with W7 on it, I should have thought, as that's the one you want
9 > > to start. Why not just try it? And when you find out which partition is
10 > > which, why not set the bootable flag on the right one? I.e. the one with
11 > > grub in it.
12 >
13 > I am not sure that I would want to do this. I recall that MSWindows used to
14 > be and it possible still is rather sensitive with needing the boot flag on its
15 > partition. Linux on the other hand is a more advanced OS which does not care
16 > where the boot flag is.
17
18 If you were to go with the GRUB -> W7 route, I don't think just trying
19 out the two configurations (don't change boot flags, just try each
20 partition) would've hurt. The worst that I can imagine is an error
21 thrown about OS not found.
22
23 > Nope. I mean use the Windows 7 bootloader as the primary bootloader to
24 > chainload GRUB from the Gentoo partition. The MSWindows stays in the MBR as
25 > it is now, the GRUB is installed in the Gentoo /boot partition. MSWindows
26 > bootloader chainloads GRUB.
27 >
28 I wish you good luck with your project.
29
30 > PPS. I am making some progress with this (at least in terms of googling) and
31 > will report back as soon as I have achieved this MSWindows --> chainloading --
32 > > Gentoo thing.
33
34 Please do write a page on the Wiki (or at least a summary of what you
35 did to this mailing list). This will be some handy information to
36 have.
37
38 Cheers,
39
40 W
43 Willie W. Wong wwong@××××××××××××××.edu
44 Data aequatione quotcunque fluentes quantitae involvente fluxiones invenire
45 et vice versa ~~~ I. Newton