From: Fast Turtle <fturtle@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] kernel panick after time while compiling....
Date: Mon, 27 May 2013 15:40:02
1 On Sun, 26 May 2013 18:36:55 -0500
2 Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > Tamer Higazi wrote:
5 > > Hi people!
6 > > When I merge large or big packages like firefox, thunderbird or
7 > > chromium. The system hangsup with "kernel panick" and displays on the
8 > > screen reboot after 30 seconds.
9 > >
10 > > What could it be?!
14 > > For any help or advises, I would kindly thank you.
19 > > Tamer
23 > Could be lots of things but have you checked your ram? Power supply
24 > getting hot? CPU getting hot? Those are things I can thing of right
25 > off the top of my head. I'm sure others will have additional ideas.
26 >
27 > Dale
28 >
30 >
31 > --
32 > I am only responsible for what I said ... Not for what you understood or how you interpreted my words!
35 All of these are good general diagnostic suggestions but from what was said, I suspect it's the kernel radeon driver as I've had the same problem. If he's got a radeon card, then he needs at least the linux-firmware and change the krenel setting to build the radoeon as a module/rebuild kernel and modules. Problem solved - I'm not sure what's borked in the kernel module but it affects all versions in portage