From: Dirk Dil <dirk.dil@××.lu>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] postgresql client problems
Date: Thu, 15 Dec 2005 10:15:02
1 Hi,
2
3 My computer is an amd64 sempron with a fresh Gentoo Linux 2005.1-r1. I'm trying to get pgaccess and
4 postgresql to set up.
5
6 Both have been successfully emerged. I can create a data base with my
7 user "dirk" and access it using psql. Upon /etc/init.d/postgres stop/start
8 I do find the following in my logfile:
9 <<
10 LOG: received fast shutdown request
11 LOG: shutting down
12 LOG: database system is shut down
13 LOG: could not send test message on socket for statistics collector:
14 Operation not permitted
15 LOG: disabling statistics collector for lack of working socket
16 LOG: database system was shut down at 2005-12-15 08:35:49 CET
17 LOG: checkpoint record is at 0/AC5068
18 LOG: redo record is at 0/AC5068; undo record is at 0/0; shutdown TRUE
19 LOG: next transaction ID: 558; next OID: 17231
20 LOG: database system is ready
21 >>
22 When trying to access the data base using pgaccess I get the following
23 message:
24
25 <<
26 Error trying to connect to database 'test'
27 on host localhost
28
29 PostgreSQL error message: Connection to database failed
30 couldn't open socket: connection refused
33 With no further messages in the postgres log.
34
35 After having carefully followed the FAQs and all man pages etc.etc. It
36 refuses to connect. I havn't got a clue as to what is wrong and would
37 appreciate a push in the right direction. I suspect sockets but don't
38 know where to go from here.
39
40 TIA for reactions
41