From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Using SSH around the LAN
Date: Tue, 12 Jul 2016 15:49:16
1 On 12/07/2016 17:42, Peter Humphrey wrote:
2 > Hello list,
3 >
4 > I remember some time ago reading a guide on the Web to using ssh and keychain
5 > to simplify routine tasks, but now I can't find it.
6 >
7 > What I want to do is to use scp, ssh and rsync to copy files and directories
8 > from one local machine to another, without having to submit a password on
9 > every occasion. I want to be able to do this as myself, as portage or as root.
10 >
11 > Is there a guide to setting up password-less authentication to enable me to do
12 > this?
15 http://www.funtoo.org/Keychain
16
17 Note that you, portage and root are 3 different users, so you must make
18 key pairs for reach on each source machine you will ssh from.
19
20 Then you need to add each of those user's public keys to each
21 destination user's authorized_keys file on each machine you want to ssh to.
22
23 That can be a lot of key copying :-) 3 x 3 x # of machines
24
25 Finally, on each machine you will ssh from and as each user who will do
26 the ssh'ing, you must run keychain at least once to store the key creds.
27 They should then persist until reboot, when you must run keychain again
28 for each user.
29
30 The idea is that a given user's keychain creds are valid over all that
31 user's login sessions on a machine. User's cannot share each other's
32 keychain
36 Alan McKinnon
37 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com