From: Daniel van Ham Colchete <daniel.colchete@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o, gentoo-cluster@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Remote administration of a server
Date: Mon, 14 May 2007 18:49:28
1 Hello yall,
2
3 first, this is a kind of "half-topic" issue, but I'll be using Gentoo and
4 the matter is on the interest of this list.
5
6 I'll be building a Gentoo Cluster soon in a datacenter 6000 miles (9600 km)
7 away from me... This project has to be as cost efficient as possible. A lot
8 of research was made in this heading: the best cost effective solution.
9
10 Everything I'll be redundant and scalable. Somethings have three levels of
11 fail safeness (like my storage). So everything can fail. Every single item
12 on the cluster can fail and my service will still be online.
13
14 Right now I'm concerned with how I'm going to fix software problems when
15 they arrive. I'm thinking about a situation where I have a kernel panic or
16 when the Linux won't boot for any reason (incorrect kernel upgrade, hard
17 drive failure, etc...).
18
19 To solve this, I'm seeing 2 options right now. The first would be buying a
20 KVM-over-IP unit. But, a KVM-over-IP unit with the number of ports I need is
21 expensive, almost as expensive as the servers it will be connected.
22
23 The second option would be having another server acting as a USB Guest. This
24 usb-guest-server would be connected to every other server through a USB
25 cable and would be seen as a pen drive with a Gentoo rescue disk inside.
26 Them, if something goes wrong, I can activate the virtual pen drive,
27 remotely reboot the troubled server and it will boot the pen drive. There is
28 a howto about this at http://www.linux-usb.org/gadget/file_storage.html. But
29 I can't find the necessary hardware to do this. Has anyone been able to do
30 anything like this?
31
32 Thinking about other options, does anyone have any other tip for me? Am I
33 going in the right direction? For the obvious answer: I know it's better to
34 be closer to the datacenter, but that's not an option for me right now and I
35 know I'll have a remote-hands service, but it can be very time inefficient
36 sometimes and I'm trying to avoid it as much as possible.
37
38 Thank you all.
39
40 Best regards,