From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Getting maximum space out of a hard drive
Date: Thu, 25 Aug 2022 21:08:55
1 On Thu, Aug 25, 2022 at 2:59 PM Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
2 >
3 > While at it, can I move the drives on LVM to another system without
4 > having to copy anything? Just physically move the drives and LVM see
5 > them correctly on the new system?
6
7 As long as we aren't talking about boot partitions/sectors, the answer
8 is yes. As long as all the drives are attached and accessible by the
9 kernel (necessary drivers/etc present), then LVM will put them
10 together. It doesn't care where it finds them, as all the necessary
11 metadata is stored on the drives and gets scanned.
12
13 If you're talking about boot partitions/sectors then it isn't a huge
14 problem, but you do need to ensure the bootloader can find the right
15 drives/etc, as it isn't nearly as flexible and may need updates if the
16 drives switch order/etc, at least for legacy bootloaders.
19 Rich