From: Grant Taylor <gtaylor@×××××××××××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] data recovery advice needed
Date: Sun, 16 Dec 2018 00:06:43
1 On 12/15/18 4:33 PM, Jack wrote:
2 > Is there any way to fix this other than completely repeating the copy?
3
4 I'm sure there are other ways, but the first things that comes to mind
5 is touch. Or rather a script that uses touch, and possibly find or a
6 recursive glob. The idea being to have the list of files in (either of)
7 the directories and touch the new copy with the old copy as the date &
8 timestamp reference.
9
10 touch --reference=${OldPath}/${CurrentFile} ${NewPath}/${CurrentFile}
11
12 I'd probably cd to the new copy's path and do the recursive find / glob
13 there to get the file name in a variable. I think that would apply more
14 of the directory traversal walk I/O on the new path and just reference
15 the full path to files in the old path.
16
17 Quick testing (of globing, namely "**/*") in Zsh makes me think that the
18 following would come close.
19
20 OldPath="/mnt/old"
21 NewPath="/mnt/new"
22 cd $NewPath
23 for CurrentFile in **/*; do
24 touch --reference=${OldPath}/${NewPath} ${NewPath}/${CurrentFile}
25 done
26
27 > Will some version of rsync do what I want?
28
29 Maybe ~> probably.
30
31 > Thanks for any suggestions, other than to think more carefully before
32 > typing.
33
34 Mistakes happen. Once you realize how to recover from something, you
35 become less scared of doing it. Save for your time to actually do the
36 recovery.