From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] emerge advises upgrade profile
Date: Mon, 26 Oct 2009 23:49:17
1 On Tuesday 27 October 2009 01:31:27 Harry Putnam wrote:
2 > My profile has been
3 > ../usr/portage/profiles/default/linux/x86/2008.0
4 >
5 > starting an update system today I'm told my profile is depricated and
6 > to update to default/linux/x86/10.0
7 >
8 > I've forgotten about how this is done. Is it just a matter of
9 >
10 > ln -sf
11 > /usr/portage/profiles/default/linux/x86/10.0 /etc/make.profile ?
12
13 yes
16 > Or does it involve something like a major regrind of every package?
17
18 no
21 > A quick google with site:gentoo.org "change profile" shows dozens of
22 > hits in forum messages, but I didn't notice a HOWTO or concise
23 > walk-thru.
24
25 It's in the gentoo docs - remember that long thing you read when you installed
26 gentoo the first time, and probably haven't read again? yes, that one :-)
27
28 All a profile does is specify some default standard packages for system,
29 default USE flags and some other various bits and pieces. Once you have set
30 your make.conf up the way you want, very little in the way of profile changes
31 affect you.
32
33 If you find forum posts that go on about large re-emerges of world and other
34 nonsense, well you should understand that such comments represent the average
35 level of cluelessness of your average forum user and you should treat it as
36 such
41 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com