From: Marc Joliet <marcec@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Local portage ebuilds
Date: Wed, 09 Jul 2014 14:15:55
1 Am Wed, 9 Jul 2014 13:38:23 +0000 (UTC)
2 schrieb James <wireless@×××××××××××.com>:
3
4 > Hello,
5
6 Hi,
7
8 > I use the stable portage tree for most everything.
9 > I use and test quite a few overlays.
10 > Both of these are great.
11 >
12 > But now, I'm hacking a small collection my own ebuilds that focus
13 > on some specific needs and science, which I shall refer to collectively as
14 > local ebuilds. I'm curious how other folks would suggest to keep them
15 > separate from the main portage tree and the overlays, but easily
16 > maintainable on my own workstation.
19 > Semantical suggestions via google seem to be dated.
20 > Observanations and other ideas are most welcome for keeping a bunch
21 > of "local" ebuilds managed and reliable on a stable gentoo system
22 > and as much as possible using the standard gentoo system tools.
23
24 What you are referring sounds a lot like a local overlay :) . I have one myself
25 that I manage with git, and many others have their own. It's not even
26 particularly difficult, especially if you'll be its only user. The Gentoo Wiki
27 even has a page on local overlays, as I just found out:
28 http://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Overlay/Local_overlay.
29
30 Some further thoughts:
31
32 - Use repoman, even if you're the only user.
33
34 - Check the portage man page for documentation on the files that configure the
35 overlay that might be of interest (metadata/layout.conf, stuff in profiles/).
36 It might be completely uninteresting to you, but maybe there are some useful
37 features documented there, depending on what your needs are.
38
39 - If you don't already have one of them, be sure to install gentoo-syntax or
40 ebuild-mode if you'll be writing ebuilds from scratch with vim or emacs. For
41 example: with gentoo-syntax, when you create a new ebuild, it automatically
42 creates a skeleton ebuild, even depending on the category directory you're in
43 at the moment.
44
45 > tia,
46 > James
47
48 HTH
49 --
50 Marc Joliet
51 --
52 "People who think they know everything really annoy those of us who know we
53 don't" - Bjarne Stroustrup