From: Pupino <pupinux@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: alsa in-kernel vs. alsa-lib
Date: Fri, 31 Oct 2008 11:05:51
1 2008/10/31 Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@×××××.de>:
2 > Joshua Murphy wrote:
3 >>
4 >> On Thu, Oct 30, 2008 at 7:46 PM, Markos Chandras <markaki2002@×××××.gr>
5 >> wrote:
6 >>>
7 >>> From my experience i would recommend to use alsa-in-kernel + alsa-libs +
8 >>> alsa-headers + alsa-utils + alsa-tools
9 >>>
10 >>> This combination works perfect on my 3 gentoo machines
11 >>
12 >> All... *thinks a moment* 6 of mine as well.
13 >
14 > void shameless_plug()
15 > {
16 > One of the reasons I love Gentoo is
17 > because it allowed me to recompile all
18 > apps without ALSA support and use OSS
19 > (version 4) instead which for me worked
20 > much, much better than ALSA.
21 > }
22 >
23 > ;D
28 ok, all of you said alsa in-kernel + alsa-lib + alsa-header is working
29 perfectly.
30 Yes, it's working for me too on my other gentoo box.
31
32 But i read this after building alsa-lib:
33 * Please try in-kernel ALSA drivers instead of the alsa-drivers ebuild.
34 * If alsa-drivers works for you where a recent kernel does not, we want
35 * to know about this. Our e-mail address is alsa-bugs@g.o
36 * However, if you notice no sound output or instability, please try to
37 * upgrade your kernel to a newer version first.
38
39 and this makes me think i should get rid of those packages as it say "instead".
40 Is this wrong? do we still need alsa-lib and co.?