From: Stroller <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] How can I update *every* ebuild?
Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2013 15:42:01
1 On 23 January 2013, at 19:48, Jarry wrote:
2
3 > Hi Gentoo-users,
4 > I always thought the right way to update everything was:
5 >
6 > emerge --update --deep --newuse world
7 > emerge --update --deep --newuse system
8 >
9 > When I try the above mentioned, nothing to update is found.
10 > Yet when I try i.e. "emerge --pretend nasm", I see:
11 >
12 > [ebuild U ] dev-lang/nasm-2.10.05 [2.10.01]
13 >
14 > So there is apparently update for dev-lang/nasm, ...
15 >
16 > So how can I update really *every* ebuild?
17
18 Others have explained why this has happened.
19
20 I think `eix -Iuc` will show all packages on the system for which a version other than the latest is installed.
21
22 You can use `eix -Iu --only-names > file.txt` then you can edit the list before running `for foo in $(cat file.txt) ; do emerge -1 $foo ; done`.
23
24 This is somewhat inelegant and others here will probably argue that there is no value to updating these packages.
25
26 If you have multiple slots of a package installed on your system (sources, Python, gcc) then they will appear on the list, even if you have the latest version of each slot installed. That's why you probably want to edit the list before performing the update.
27
28 Stroller.