From: Michael <confabulate@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Bouncing messages
Date: Sun, 22 Jan 2023 23:05:26
1 On Sunday, 22 January 2023 22:33:50 GMT Peter Humphrey wrote:
2 > On Thursday, 19 January 2023 09:30:34 GMT I wrote:
3 > > I'll see it it's my ISP who's bouncing the message.
4 >
5 > It looks as though they did reject the mail. I asked them please to let it
6 > through just this once, and now it's sitting on their server (my ISP's).
7 > Unfortunately, my local postfix is rejecting it because it's over "a fixed
8 > limit". I tried turning up the two likely-looking limits in /etc/postfix/
9 > bounce.cf.default, but that just removed the error message - the mail
10 > remained at my ISP.
11 >
12 > What else can I try?
13 >
14 > I use fetchmail to collect the POP3 mail and forward it to postfix for
15 > dovecot to serve as SMTP. This is the first trouble I've had with it and
16 > external mail.
17
18 If you want to try an old school approach, but with a more modern encryption
19 method, you could try 'openssl s_client' and then list messages and retrieve
20 the one you're interested in. Something like this:
21
22 openssl s_client -connect pop.some_server.com:995 -crlf -starttls pop3
23
24 then use server commands[1] as you would over a telnet connection, e.g.
25
26 USER peter
27
28 PASS s3cr3tPa77
29
30 STAT
31 LIST
32 RETR 5
33 DELE 5
34 QUIT
35
36 The TOP command may also be useful if you wish to only check the top few lines
37 of a (large) message to decide if you want to retrieve the rest of it.
38
39 TOP 5 10
40
41 Or if your ISP offer a webmail front end to their server, it should be easier
42 to access the message with a browser.
43
44 [1] https://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc1939.txt