From: Willie Wong <wwong@×××××××××.EDU>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] usb1 performance out of usb2 external HD
Date: Mon, 16 Jan 2006 07:20:32
1 On Mon, Jan 16, 2006 at 04:08:58PM +0930, Penguin Lover Iain Buchanan squawked:
2 > I noticed I had uhci-hcd loaded (the usb 1 module?) so I unloaded it,
3 > and my keyboard stopped working!!! So using the laptop keyboard, I
4 > replugged the HD (now without uhci-hcd) and it still goes slow...
7 uhci-hcd is the driver for the intel USB host controller, so if you
8 unload that, it is natural that it killed your (presumeably USB)
9 keyboard.
10
11 the driver for USB2.0, incidentally, should be ehci-hcd, and according
12 to the kernel docs, if you have ehci built (grep USB_EHCI
13 /usr/src/linux/.config), it will use USB2.0 on enabled devices.
14
15 So, the question is, did you compile your kernel with EHCI support?
16
17 HTH
18
19 W
20 --
21 An engineer is walking along and runs across a talking frog.
22
23 The frog says "I am a princess, and if you kiss me, I will turn back
24 into a princess and be your girlfriend."
25
26 Then engineer mutters "Neat", picks up the frog, puts it in his back
27 pocket, and continues walking.
28
29 The frog kicked the engineer, prompting him to pull the frog out. The
30 frog said, "My daddy is rich, and if you kiss me, he will reward you
31 handsomely." The engineer shrugged his shoulders and replaced the
32 frog in his pocket.
33
34 A couple minutes later, the frog kicked him again. This time the frog
35 asked, "Why won't you kiss me? I will make you rich and be your
36 girlfriend."
37
38 The engineer replied "Look, lady. I am an engineer and have no use
39 for a girlfriend. But a talking frog is cool!"
40 Sortir en Pantoufles: up 64 days, 23:34
41 --
42 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list