From: Dirk Heinrichs <dirk.heinrichs@××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Kernel upgrading and linux symlink
Date: Sun, 01 Nov 2009 06:56:38
1 Am Samstag 31 Oktober 2009 17:52:52 schrieb Harry Putnam:
2 > And in fact does it really matter if its pointing at the newly
3 > installed or actual running kernel, when kernel compiling operations
4 > take place?
5
6 No, it doesn't really matter at all. AFAIK, kernel devs even recommend against
7 the symlink. And you can do just fine w/o it.
8
9 I need to compile one external module, nvidia. This can be done by providing
10 some ENV variables which point to the correct kernel source:
11
12 KBUILD_OUTPUT=/lib/modules/`uname -r`/build KERNEL_DIR=/lib/modules/`uname -
13 r`/source paludis -i1 nvidia-drivers
14
15 This points to the currently running kernel. You can easily replace "`uname -
16 r`" with any version you want.
17
18 Why do I do this? Because I always use the sources from kernel.org directly,
19 and get them via git. I have cloned the kernel tree in /usr/src/linux-2.6, so
20 that I can easily switch between different version by means of a simple "git
21 checkout". The build output is stored in /usr/src/build-<version>, by using
22 "make O=../build-2.6.31 menuconfig", for example.
23
24 HTH...
25
26 Dirk