From: Miroslav Rovis <miro.rovis@××××××××××××××.hr>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Use brctl from bridge-utils or bridge from iproute2?
Date: Sat, 15 Oct 2016 23:46:04
1 Hi!
2
3 The:
4 /usr/share/doc/netifrc-0.4.0/net.example.bz2
5 from the net-misc/netifrc package reads:
6
7 # Bridging (802.1d)
8 # For bridging support emerge net-misc/bridge-utils
9
10 # To add ports to bridge br0
11 #bridge_br0="eth0 eth1"
12 ...
13 et cetera
14 ...
15
16 How is this done with the bridge utility from iproute2 package is not very
17 clear to a non-expert. It sure is all completely different than with brctl.
18
19 Reminds me of how lots of people still prefer iptables over netfilter,
20 because there are good reason to do so.
21
22 It this a similar case?
23
24 While managing ones' ethernet interfaces, esp. the link and address of,
25 surely iproute2 package is superior than net-tools suite (expecially
26 the ip is superior than the ifconfig), and I mostly switched to the
27 better iproute2 replacements for net-tools suite, as per:
28
29 https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Iproute2#iproute2_for_net-tools_swappers
30
31 -- also notice that bridge in not in the swappers there --
32 ).
33
34 The net-tools vs. iproute2 question is solved for me in that respect.
35
36 However I can much more easily use the brctl from:
37 net-misc/bridge-utils
38
39 (and indeed, https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Network_bridge still suggests so)
40 than the bridge from Iproute2 package.
41
42 Stick to bridge-utils or try the bridge from Iproute2?
43
44 And if the latter, any suggestions of a more detailed and more complete
45 and more user friendly tutorials?
46
47 Regards!
48 --