From: kashani <kashani-list@××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] installing ffi gem
Date: Fri, 22 Apr 2011 00:34:23
1 On 4/21/2011 4:57 PM, Matt Harrison wrote:
2 > I've just tried setting up a new development machine and I'm stuck installing the ffi
3 > gem for ruby.
4 >
5 > According to a bug I found (can't find it now I'm afraid) the gentoo devs do not
6 > support installing gems via the gem command and directed the user to use the
7 > dev-ruby/ffi package. Unfortnately, that package is absolutely ancient and unusable.
8 >
9 > Anyway, I've got the ffi library install from portage, but when I try to `gem install
10 > ffi`, I get the output seen in the attachement.
11 >
12 > The same gem installs just fine on an ubuntu box, but...well it's ubuntu and I don't
13 > want to use that (besides it's just a VM).
14 >
15 > I'd really like to get this fixed so I can get started on a new project.
16 >
17 > Grateful for any help
18 >
19 > Matt
20
21 Install RVM, make it part of your shell, then install the ruby and gems
22 of your choice. That way you leave the system Ruby alone and can develop
23 with the versions you want. You can even do multiple versions of ruby
24 and various gems for working on many different projects at once.
25
26 https://rvm.beginrescueend.com/rvm/install/
27
28 It really is the simplest way to build a dev environment and maintain
29 it for Ruby.
30
31 kashani