From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Proxy server problem
Date: Sat, 24 Aug 2013 17:25:39
1 On Saturday 24 Aug 2013 14:23:26 Grant wrote:
2 > >> I set up squid on a remote system so I can browse the internet from
3 > >> that IP address. It works but it stalls frequently. I had similar
4 > >> results with ziproxy. I went over this with the squid list but we got
5 > >> nowhere as it seems to be some kind of a system or network problem.
6 > >>
7 > >> http://squid-web-proxy-cache.1019090.n4.nabble.com/squid-3-3-5-hangs-the
8 > >> -en tire-system-td4660893.html
9 > >>
10 > >> Can anyone here help me figure out what is wrong? I'm not sure where to
11 > >> start.
12 > >>
13 > >> - Grant
14 > >
15 > > Just a quick pointer in case it applies to you: if you tunnel into the
16 > > proxy machine (using ssh, VPN, proxychains and what not) you would
17 > > suffer from packet fragmentation, which could quickly snowball. In this
18 > > case try reducing your mtu to lower values, than the default ethernet
19 > > 1500 byte packets, to cater for the overhead of the larger tunnelling
20 > > headers.
21 >
22 > I've tried disconnecting from my SSH tunnel and changing the mtu on my
23 > laptop and on the remote proxy server via ifconfig and there is some
24 > kind of an improvement but I can't narrow it down. I've tried mtu
25 > down to 1000 on both systems but the proxy server still stalls
26 > sometimes. Any tips for narrowing this down further?
27 >
28 > - Grant
29
30 Now that you mentioned using ssh, I don't think that you can improve this. An
31 mtu at 1000 bytes is lower than I thought might have helped. The problem is
32 caused by stacking tcp packets (tcp within tcp) each of which is using its own
33 timeout for failed fragments.
34
35 The problem is explained here (tcp meltdown):
36
37 http://sites.inka.de/~W1011/devel/tcp-tcp.html
38
39 and here (useful relevant references to other works are also made):
40
41 http://publications.lib.chalmers.se/records/fulltext/123799.pdf
44 There are some suggested solutions like increasing buffer size, but I don't
45 know this might work in a real world use case. You can experiment with
46 different buffer sizes as suggested here and see if it makes a difference:
47
48 http://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/linux-tcp-tuning/
51 If the interruptions are not acceptable to you, you could consider using a
52 different tunnel method. A network layer VPN, like IPSec (you can use
53 StrongSwan which also offers IKEv2 and MOBIKE for your laptop, or ipsec-tools
54 with racoon for IKEv1 only) should work without such problems. You will be
55 tunnelling tcp in udp packets. If you tunnel to your home router you will
56 need to configure an IPSec tunnel mode connection, otherwise you would use an
57 IPSec transport mode connection directly to your server after you allow IP
58 protocol 50 packets through your router.
59
60 HTH.
61 --
62 Regards,