From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Problems booting my server - ext2 - e2fsck
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 2010 11:03:17
1 On 26 July 2010 11:54, William Kenworthy <billk@×××××××××.au> wrote:
2
3 > Fixed it - was grub after all - it renumbered my drives (0 and 1
4 > swapped :(
5 >
6 > Complicated because this was one of the early sata boards with a fake
7 > raid chip to handle the sata while the old IDE drives were on the normal
8 > bus.
9 >
10 > Further complicated by the bios and raidchip changing drive assignments
11 > depending on which drive/cd/floppy you booted from (i.e., what grub sees
12 > as the drive numbers changes when the real OS is booted).  I forgot what
13 > hoops I had to jump through to get this going originally.
14 >
15 > Might be time for a new setup - amd athlon 2500+ are not so cool these
16 > days :)
17
18 Glad you got it working! Another gotcha is when you disable the
19 deprecated CONFIG_IDE in the kernel and you don't update your
20 grub.conf and /etc/fstab to rename /dev/hda's into /dev/sda's.
21 --
22 Regards,
23 Mick