From: "Mariusz Pękala" <skoot@××.pl>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] openoffice 2.0 - compiling or binary
Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2005 09:17:34
1 On 2005-11-30 08:12:34 +0100 (Wed, Nov), Kristian Poul Herkild wrote:
2 > Joseph wrote:
3 >
4 > >Is there a benefit of compiling Openoffice 2.0 vs. installing from
5 > >binary.
6 > >
7 > >I've AMD 1.8Mhz with 1Gb or Ram and it has been compiling OO 2.0 for
8 > >7-hours already.
12 > It's likely to take somewhere around 8-11 hours on such a machine. It
13 > took somewhere around 10 hours for me on a 1500 MHz Athlon XP with 1 GB RAM.
14 >
15 > Whether or not you can benefit from compiling is unknown to me. But it's
16 > more fun ;)
17
18 Yes! Oh yes! ;-)
19
20 AFAIK in OO version 1 it was the only (almost the only) way to have
21 localized version - LINGUAS or LANGUAGE variable.
22
23 As I can see in ebuild it is no longer true in 2.0, so I also think that
24 it's just like the Gentoo Stage 1 Installation - "You can brag about
25 doing stage 1". :-)
26 (I did stage 1, and I will compile OpenOffice - even version 2)
29 No virus found in this outgoing message.
30 Checked by 'grep -i virus $MESSAGE'
31 Trust me.