From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] HACK: Boot without an initramfs / initrd while maintaining a separate /usr file system.
Date: Tue, 06 Aug 2019 08:13:21
1 On Mon, 5 Aug 2019 10:30:58 -0600, Grant Taylor wrote:
2
3 > > How will you make sure installations of the same binaries are
4 > > installed/copied in both underlying and mounted /usr/* fs and kept
5 > > in sync? By changing all affected ebuilds?
6 >
7 > I don't have an answer to this qustion. I've not needed an answer to
8 > this question.
9 >
10 > I think I would likely create a script that would copy specific files
11 > from the /usr path to the underlying /(usr) path as needed.
12 >
13 > I doubt there would be many files.
14
15 You could use rsync with the --existing flag to update all files in your
16 bind mounted directories, and run it as a post-emerge script.
17
18 It's a horrible hack, I like it!
22 Neil Bothwick
23