From: Alan McKinnon <alan@××××××××××××××××.za>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Trouble fetching all required files for network-less machine
Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2007 20:42:12
1 On Monday 24 September 2007, Marzan, Richard non Unisys wrote:
2 > I'm trying to fetch all possible files including those that might
3 > satisfy dependencies and USE flags for every package on my system.
4 > The reason I'm doing this is because I have a network-less machine
5 > that I wish to transfer these files to so that I may have the same
6 > environment on both machines. But every so often a package fails to
7 > install because of failure to fetch dependencies. On my networked
8 > machine I run emerge -efD world and emerge -fD system it fetches
9 > files and completes without errors. I then take a copy of the
10 > distfiles dir to the networkless machine and run emerge k3b, for
11 > example, and it fails because it was unable to fetch some dependent
12 > file. This after I ran the same command on my networked machine and
13 > moving distfiles to my networkless box. Both profiles on the two
14 > machines are identical and they use the same USE flags. How can I
15 > make sure that every possible or contingent file is fetch? For
16 > example...I might not use the mp3 USE flag or any other use flag for
17 > a program but I would like it to satisfy all possible FLAGS when
18 > fetching...How can I go about doing that?
19
20 Do two things:
21
22 Use 'emerge -F' instead of 'emerge -f'
23 Use 'emerge --with-bdeps y'
24
25 -F will fetch everything in SRC_URI regardless of USE settings etc.
26
27 --with-bdeps is more complex. Basically, sometimes a dep is required to
28 build a package but not to run it. This setting either includes or
29 excludes such things in it's emerge calculations.
30
31 Both options are more fully described in 'man emerge'
32
33 alan
37 Optimists say the glass is half full,
38 Pessimists say the glass is half empty,
39 Developers say wtf is the glass twice as big as it needs to be?
40
41 Alan McKinnon
42 alan at linuxholdings dot co dot za
43 +27 82, double three seven, one nine three five
44 --
45 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list