From: "Steve [Gentoo]" <gentoo_steve@×××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Modelling software - free - preferably easy to install under Gentoo.
Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2007 11:55:31
1 On Sat, Jun 16, 2007 at 05:22:47PM +0000, James wrote:
2 > Matlab is the standard for mathematical analysis of all sorts of
3 > phenomenon, from a mathematical perspective.
4
5 I'm familiar with Matlab... you're the second person to mention
6 Octave...
7
8 > > I would like to do some analysis on these signals to see if there are
9 > > any interesting things that can be demonstrated - for example, if I
10 > > could show a strong correlation in the signals between two times, but
11 > > none at other times, I might be able to conclude that there was
12 > > communication of some description, but only for a fixed duration.
13 >
14 > Very unclear what you are saying. Are these signals related to events in
15 > your network? More information will help.
16
17 I agree - Not only was my post unclear, but I'm unclear about what I
18 want too. :-)
19
20 My data, in reality, consists national statistics - and my
21 self-appointed challenge is to establish if, subject to appropriate
22 analysis, they will expose undocumented trends or other anomalies. I
23 don't know what trends or anomalies I want to find until I discover
24 them... but I suspect that, once found, they'd be interesting. :-)
25
26 > 'exi octave' reveals:
27
28 Octave is a good suggestion - but probably not what I need. I've been
29 pointed at "R" ( http://www.r-project.org/ ) which looks more hopeful,
30 though I can't find it in portage. If there were an interactive GUI to
31 apply standard statistical analyses to data as a front-end to R, then
32 that would likely be just what I want. Failing that - just finding R
33 in portage would be a step forwards.
34
35 I'd be very interested to know if R has competition...
36 --
37 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list