From: Stroller <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] {OT} Wireless KVM, but just V?
Date: Thu, 07 Jul 2011 11:42:01
1 I haven't used them, but I'm somewhat sceptical of Avocent as a brand.
2
3 Their network KVMs (all that I've seen advertised, I think) use proprietary viewer software. I don't think they even allow you to view using a web-based viewer applet (as do many other network KVMs), and I think they may even charge for upgrades of the viewer software (when you've paid £1000+ for their hardware!).
4
5 The company that OEM's my Blackbox network KVM [1] also make "Digital Signage" AV extenders [2] - I would guess that these are doing essentially the same thing as a network KVM, but without the part that transmits the keyboard and mouse back. The important part is that they're a frame-grabber, taking as input the VGA or DVI from a computer's video card - that can then be transmitted across the network digitally. I would doubt that this kind of "AV extender" is much cheaper than a network KVM, which you can get in single-channel versions [3], but the performance may be better that I've seen on network KVMs.
6
7 You can get great deals on network KVMs secondhand (expect to pay £100 - £200 on eBay) but at least with that generation (i.e. typically 5 - 8 years old) the resolution and refresh rate is a bit limiting, and there's no way you could use them for video. But a good network KVM (like the Blackbox) will allow you to control the remote computer using a standard VNC client.
8
9 Dale needs to give us more info about *what he's trying to do*. It might well be, from his apparent lack of need to control the remote PC, that a $100 STB "network streaming media player", such as the Western Digital TV+, would do that job. That allows you to play video files across the network, and does so at high quality.
10
11 Stroller.
15 [1] http://www.kvms.com/ID/34040.aspx
16 [2] http://dmtz.com/avx/