From: Jerry McBride <mcbrides9@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Has Linux "jumped the Shark"?
Date: Sat, 23 Dec 2006 01:43:05
1 On Wednesday 20 December 2006 21:32, Jeff Rollin wrote:
2 > Hi all
3 >
4 > A discussion on the staff blogs over at OSNews about the Linux desktop
5 > got me thinking. Thom and Eugenia seem to think that "the linux
6 > desktop peaked in 2001-2004", but I don't remember the hype around
7 > Ubuntu starting till well after that. Their argument seemed to be that
8 > because GNOME is running into problems and because KDE is behind
9 > schedule, the Linux desktop is dead.
10 >
11 > How true is this?
14 PURE Microsoft FUD... "They" are pulling out all the stops now, trying to
15 block the advancement of Linux in any areas they can. The fact is, they are
16 loosing big time, big money.
17
18 Do a simple google safari for "ie 7" and "windows vista" and read the posts
19 from ordinary windows users (not the professional microsoft shills)...
20 There's so much discontentment "out there" with microsoft products that
21 Microsoft will never be able to quell it.
22
23 It's a literal "Linux Breeding Ground" and Linux could fill their needs.
24
25 If "you guys and gals" want to do some serious Linux advocating, start lending
26 as much help as you can on the micosoft support usenet forums. Help as much
27 as you can. If you are successful, then perhaps you've made a friend. If you
28 fail at fixing their windows toys, offer them a free copy of linux... You may
29 make a friend for life.
30
31 As example, I offer:
32
33 I just spent two hours on the phone, helping a guy with his brand new Dell
34 desktop. It worked great a couple of days ago, today IE7 says is..."cannot
35 display webage". All webpages...dead. Turned out he "somehow" turned on the
36 windows firewall AND a third party firewall. Un-installing the second
37 firewall got him backup and in business. I helped him configure the windows
38 firewall as best as I could and recommend a few places to google for more
39 information on firewall setups. Yeah, I helped fix a windows box... It took 2
40 hours... The guy was a total nubie... However, at the end of the session, he
41 did take me up on my recommendation of using FireFox for general browsing and
42 IE7 for those sites that absolutely have to have it. He also took me up on my
43 offer of a free copy of a Live Linux DVD.
44
45 There's a gold mine of new linux users/converts out there. They just have to
46 be told that there really is CHOICE amongst OS's, browsers, etc...
50 Jerry McBride
51 --
52 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list