From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Simultaneously emerging multiple packages with same dependencies
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2011 15:45:21
1 Alan McKinnon wrote:
2 > Apparently, though unproven, at 17:09 on Thursday 27 January 2011, Nikos
3 > Chantziaras did opine thusly:
6 >> Given the amount of time unpack/configure/install of most packages needs
7 >> (very short), my observation is that it would not be worth it.
8 >>
9 > KDE.
10 >
11 > unpack/configure/install takes up a significant amount of time for KDE
16 Putting reply in just one post this time. This is a discussion now and
17 not a technical problem.
18
19 The package that failed had nothing to do with it building more than one
20 package at a time. For some reason, it didn't have one of the patches
21 downloaded. I guess it was a failure between here and where the mirror
22 is. When I restarted the emerge, it found it and no problems from
23 there. It would have done the same thing if I wasn't using -j is the
24 point here.
25
26 Tthis was a KDE upgrade, it saved a LOT of time. Most of the time only
27 a couple cores are really working especially when they are smaller
28 packages. When using the -j option, all 4 cores were running and was
29 pretty busy all the time. At one time, it was doing >20 packages at
30 once. I also noticed the hard drive light was pretty steady too.
31
32 All in all, using the -j option seems to have saved a lot of time here.
33 This is a fairly new install so I can recall how long it took to install
34 KDE the last time. This was much faster.
35
36 Just reporting a real world experience here. I wish I had got a 6 core
37 CPU now for sure. Maybe later.
38
39 Dale
40