From: Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Gentoo + Asus Eee
Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2008 22:53:54
1 >> I'm thinking of buying the Asus Eee for my girlfriend for her
2 >> birthday. Has anyone put Linux on one of those? It looks do-able:
3 >>
4 >> http://gentoo-wiki.com/Asus_Eee_PC_701
5 >>
6 >> but I'm wondering if anyone here has tried it.
7 >>
8 >> - Grant
9 >
10 > There a whole user modding community grown up around the Eee. Apparently
11 > the favoured hack is to rip the existing OS off and stick Ubuntu on, so
12 > there is no reason in the world you won't be able to get Gentoo on it.
13 > And it has no hardware inside that does not have Linux support somehow
14 > somewhere
15 >
16 > Compilation might take a while though :-) perhaps you should cross-build
17 > from an existing beefier machine
18
19 Yeah how is the thing to use? How long does a firefox compile take?
20 How is xfce on there? Is the screen and keyboard too small? Anybody
21 work on it?
22
23 - Grant
24 --