From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [WAY OT] GUI programming for Linux (and Windows possibly)
Date: Sun, 28 Jun 2009 20:52:38
1 On Sun, Jun 28, 2009 at 1:05 PM, Florian
2 Philipp<lists@f_philipp.fastmail.net> wrote:
3 > Mark Knecht schrieb:
4 > [...]
5 >>    These days I'm trading stock index futures for a living. I have
6 >> data files that I analyze in Excel over the weekend to help me make
7 >> decisions about how to trade the coming week, but I'm always fighting
8 >> Excel as it really isn't intended for the sort of math I want to do.
9 >> The math's not difficult, but I need to look at various ranges,
10 >> manage, sort and extract data from arrays, and amd then create charts.
11 >> This is getting pretty difficult in Excel these days so I've started
12 >> to wonder about writing a simple app to do what I need to do. It's not
13 >> generally difficult stuff but it requires (or I prefer) a lot of small
14 >> charts. I'm vaguely familiar with C & Pascal, but haven't programmed
15 >> in years. I don't know C++ at all. I was trained as an EE.
16 >>
17 > [...]
18 >
19 > This not what you asked for, but you might want to take a look at
20 > http://sourceforge.net/projects/jstock
21 >
22 > A friend of mine uses it for his stock trading.
23
24 Yeah, I know about it. It's really for tracking, not trading.
25
26 All my trading is done on the TradeStation platform. I've programmed
27 my trading systems in EasyLanguage and all trades are made
28 automatically. 5-10 trades/day, maybe 1000 trades/year. I'm evaluating
29 data sets of thousands of trades from backtest data going back years
30 and years.
31
32 Except for a few data file format issues R is looking pretty
33 interesting. I've got data in and I'm learning how to access rows and
34 columns in large tables to create the same data I've been fighting
35 with Excel to get. (and OpenOffice although it's too slow to keep me
36 interested...)
37
38 Anyway, thanks for the pointer.
39