From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Kernel 3.7.9: Lots of devices are root root rw-------.
Date: Sun, 24 Feb 2013 08:46:09
1 On 23/02/2013 19:18, Alan Mackenzie wrote:
2 > Hi, Gentoo!
3 >
4 > Just built the new kernel 3.7.9 last night, and it's one of these
5 > "nothing works" situations.
6 >
7 > It seems the problems are with the device files, whose ownership is set
8 > to "root root" (rather than, e.g., "root audio") and whose permissions
9 > are set to crw------- (rather than the expected crw-rw----).
10 >
11 > I'm still running udev-171-r10. This might well make a difference.
12 >
13 > Needless to say, everything works under kernel 3.6.11. It would be nice
14 > if there were some mistake in my kernel config.
15 >
16 > Could somebody help me get this fixed, please.
19 udev sets ownership and permissions on devices nodes, not the kernel.
20
21 I'd guess your udev setup is incompatible with 3.7.* so let's start with
22 the usual:
23
24 What is your kernel config for the various TMPFS settings in the kernel?
25 (grep TMPFS in .config)
26
27 What mount options apply to /dev?
28 Contents of /etc/fstab?