From: Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@×××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Excessive digest failures in portage
Date: Mon, 25 May 2009 05:50:31
1 Saphirus Sage wrote:
2 > This has been a consistent problem on one of my computers, to no avail
3 > thusfar, even after changing sync server settings or redigesting
4 > individual failed ebuilds. In running emerge -uavDN world, it will take
5 > at least an hour to generate a list of packages to be merged, but not
6 > before ouputting a TON of failed digests. Example below.
7 >
8 > gentoog4 proc # emerge -uavDN world
9 >
10 > These are the packages that would be merged, in order:
11 >
12 > [...]
13 >
14 > So, is this just the crying screams of a failing drive, or is there some
15 > other problem at hand here?
16
17 Does dmesg say anything about disk I/O errors? Also, try something like
18 this:
19
20 cp -a /usr/portage /tmp/
21 diff -r /usr/portage /tmp/portage
22
23 If the diff claims something differs, then it's pretty certain your disk
24 or RAM might be failing. For RAM, try memtest86+.