From: Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] About to embark on x32
Date: Wed, 10 Apr 2013 18:09:48
1 On Tue, Apr 09, 2013 at 09:46:33PM -0400, Michael Mol wrote
2 > ...I'm considering x32 for its lighter memory footprint...
3
4 For server use, I assume that it'll be a textmode-console-only system.
5 There are probably better ways to lighten the memory footprint than x32.
6 I started off with the "default/linux/x86/13.0" profile, but even that
7 was pulling in stuff I didn't want... *ON MY DESKTOP MACHINE*. After
8 some trial and error, I found that beginning my USE variable with "-*",
9 and adding necessary stuff in package.use, is less work than editing
10 package.use and make.conf without "-*". The whole point of this
11 excercise is to have fewer unnecessary libs loaded.
12
13 Other memory-saving stuff includes switching over to uclibc (assumes
14 you have no proprietary binaries) and mdev and busybox. Add
15 "-fno-unwind-tables -fno-asynchronous-unwind-tables" to CFLAGS for more
16 memory savings. See the short thread at...
17 http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.linux.busybox/36695 The busybox people
18 are absolutely anal about saving memory. You can't go wrong following
19 their example.
22 Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
23 I don't run "desktop environments"; I run useful applications