From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: md5sum for directories?
Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2008 20:01:38
1 On Sunday 24 February 2008, »Q« wrote:
2 > Stroller <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk> wrote:
3 > > I'm thinking of something like md5sum for directories.
4 >
5 > I think you may have gotten better solutions for your situation, but
6 > md5deep (in portage) is like md5sum but with directory recursion.
7
8 I'm probably not suggesting anything you don't already know, but just in case:
9
10 Notwithstanding that rsync is a superior tool just made for the job, I more
11 often use tar instead of either rsync or cp. This is because when I back up
12 a complete fs I use whichever LiveCD I have at hand (usually Knoppix) which
13 doesn't always have rsync on it. Anyway, the tar command has the option -d
14 which diffs the contents of the archive and the original fs, if you want to
15 see what happened after the archive was written, or want to decide if it is
16 time/worth making a fresher back up. Alternatively and more appropriately
17 if you run this as part of a back up process, there is the -W option. From
18 the man page:
19
20 -W, --verify
21 attempt to verify the archive after writing it
22
23 HTH.
24 --
25 Regards,