From: Daevid Vincent <daevid@××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] How do I use 2.6.14 and remove udev and go back to devfs
Date: Wed, 16 Nov 2005 08:02:55
1 I've been running 2.6.10 for some time. Then I started reading some stuff
2 that I should update my Dell Inspiron 8200 notebook to UDEV. So I followed
3 the gentoo wiki page and used kernel 2.6.13. This caused (known) issues with
4 my nvidia driver and I couldn't get the USB mouse to work (yet the alps pad
5 AND track point both worked fine). I didn't know what else was going to not
6 work, so I said the hell with this as I'd already wasted enough time and
7 went back to my old kernel image (until the udev people get their shit
8 together and this is more stable).
9
10 I unmerged 'udev'
11
12 I re-emerged devfsd
13
14 Things were generally working fine (with 2.6.10)
15
16 Tonight I tried to make a new 2.6.14 kernel (using make oldconfig) and when
17 it booted, there was some message that I don't have DEVFS or UDEV installed
18 and so many things didn't work including sound, nvidia, wireless, etc.
19
20 I re-read the udev wiki page and tried to find the 'make menuconfig' options
21 they suggest and can't find them. I also grepped my .config for both "UDEV"
22 and "DEVFS" and found nothing. WTF!
23
24 How do I use the good old devfs with the 2.6.14+ kernels?! Where are the
25 freakin' settings? What do I need to change/fix to get it to work again.
26 UGH!
29 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list