From: Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com>
Subject: [gentoo-user] Is Gentoo Healthy? (The Return)
Date: Tue, 03 Jul 2007 16:14:41
1 In December 2006 I started a thread titled "Is Gentoo Healthy?" in
2 which I was roundly put down for raising the possibility that the
3 decline in the number of Gentoo users could possibly affect the
4 remaining Gentoo users in a negative way.
5
6 Is everyone still toeing that line? The Gentoo Weekly Newsletter
7 hasn't been published in almost two months. Is Gentoo destined to be
8 just another distro starved for contributors and struggling to stay up
9 to date? If so, I really misjudged it. The meta approach of Gentoo
10 is superior to any other in my mind, and I think it's growth and
11 potential are being stunted by the "we don't need them" attitude which
12 perpetuates Gentoo's lack of usability features for beginners.
13
14 Gentoo needs as many users as possible to reach its potential. It's a
15 short-sighted mistake to think that non-contributing users do Gentoo
16 no good. Non-contributing users become contributors as time passes.
17 Car mechanics all start as car drivers.
18
19 - Grant
20 --
21 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list