From: Marco Matthies <marco-ml@×××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Depclean
Date: Fri, 19 Aug 2005 12:26:46
1 > And then I'm quite surprise, 41 packages should be removed, and among them, a
2 > lot of usefull lib or tool (perl-ldap, xinetd, and so on ...)
3 >
4 > Is this result normal ? What did I miss ?
5
6 1. it might be old stuff that really isn't needed anymore, as already
7 mentioned by others
8
9 2. portage up to a short while ago had a bug (or feature?!?) that when
10 you emerged a package for the first time and used -u to do this, it
11 would not be added to the world file. Nowadays it does the right thing
12 and adds it to the world file if you use -u or not. This means that
13 possibly some packages that you emerged yourself and weren't pulled in
14 as dependencies by other packages in the world file are now regarded by
15 --depclean as unnecessary, as they don't appear in the world file
16 themselves and aren't dependencies of anything in there.
17
18 This means that you'll have to go through the list resulting from a
19 '--depclean -p' and have to see if you truly wanted that package, and if
20 yes, re-emerge that package or add it to the world file yourself.
21
22 Once you're done remerging the stuff you want to keep and have cleaned
23 out the rest, it would probably be best to check that everything is ok
24 with a revdep-rebuild
25
26 In the future though, everything should work fine just as you were doing it.
27
28 Marco
29 --
30 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list